(Photo Courtesy of Sundevils.com)
As the college basketball season heads towards conference play we are starting to have a better feel for who the top teams are in college basketball are. The ACC and Big East look to be loaded once again and the Big Ten looks to be a one or two horse race while surprise teams like Arizona State and Oklahoma are starting to pop up.
1) Arizona State Sun Devils- The Sun Devils maybe the biggest surprise of this young season so far with wins over Kansas and Xavier both bye double-digits. Those wins over Xavier and Kansas are more impressive than Villanova’s wins.
2) Villanova Wildcats- The Wildcats have won 8 out of their 11 games by double digits and they own three top level wins against Gonzaga, Tennessee, and Temple.
3) Michigan State Spartans- The Spartans lone loss is to Duke, since that lose they have won nine straight games.
4) North Carolina Tar Heels- The Tar Heels have been better than expected this year and their only loss was on a neutral court to the Michigan State Spartans.
5) Kentucky Wildcats- With UCLA, Louisville, and West Virginia coming up on the schedule we should find out real soon exactly how good these Wildcats are.
6) Texas A&M Aggies- The Aggies own a 23 point victory over West Virginia and will be a dangerous team win the SEC season begins.
7) West Virginia Mountaineers- The Mountaineers have been on a roll since a season opening loss to Texas A&M.
8) Miami Hurricanes- The Canes are undefeated but the competition has not exactly been stellar.
9) Duke Blue Devils- The Blue Devils own three wins over top 25 teams and will be a handful as they mature under Coach K.
10) Xavier Musketeers- The Musketeers will battle Villanova for the Big East title ans don’t be surprised if the Muskies come out on top.
11) TCU Horned Frogs- The Frogs continue to roll, the question will be can they hang with the big boys when the time comes.
12) Oklahoma Sooners- The Sooners got national attention with a win over Wichita State and they also have beaten Oregon and USC.
13) Virginia Cavaliers- The Cavaliers maybe the best defensive team in the nation.
14) Wichita State Shockers- The Shockers lost a tough one to Oklahoma which is why they have dropped in these rankings.
15) Tennessee Volunteers- The Vols only loss was a close one to number two Villanova and they own a nice win over Purdue.
16) Gonzaga Bulldogs- The Bulldogs are good once again and have beaten Creighton, Texas, and Ohio State.
17) Purdue Boilermakers- The Boilermakers got a dominant win over a good Butler team and look poised to make some noise in the Big Ten.
18) Kansas Jayhawks- The Jayhawks got back on the winning side with a victory over Nebraska which snapped a two-game losing streak.
19) Arizona Wildcats- The Wildcats are a talented team and they have now won five straight after losing three in a row.
20) Baylor Bears- The Bears two losses were to Xavier and Wichita State and the best win they own was against Creighton.
21) Texas Tech Red Raiders- The Red Raiders have only one loss to Seton Hall and they have two solid wins over Northwestern and Nevada.
22) Florida State Seminoles- The Seminoles don’t have a lot of big-time wins and they just suffered there first loss of the season against Oklahoma State.
23) Seton Hall Pirates- The Pirates resume includes wins at Louisville and a win over Texas Tech.
24) Creighton Blue Jays- The Blue Jays have wins over Northwestern and UCLA.
25) Cincinnati Bearcats- The Bearcats dominated UCLA on Saturday.
Download The Grueling Truth app in the iTunes store!