1) Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma Sooners- Mayfield is on fire right now and last week he torched the Tulsa Hurricanes with 334 passing yards and 4 touchdown passes. Thru three games this season he has 1,046 yards, seven touchdowns and no interceptions, as Oklahoma opens Big 12 play Saturday at Baylor.
2) Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State- The difference between Mayfield and Rudolph right now is the fact that Mayfield torched Ohio State. The strong-armed senior has 1,135 passing yards, 11 touchdowns and an interception in three games heading into the Cowboys’ conference opener Saturday at home against TCU.
3) Saquon Barkley, Penn State Nittany Lions- Barkley has been the best running back in the nation this year and the all-purpose junior has 548 yards from scrimmage and five touchdowns in three games. He is as big a threat catching the ball as he is running with the ball.
4) Royce Freeman, Oregon Ducks- Freeman is starting to gain momentum as he has rushed for over 150 yards a game this season.
5) Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State Bulldogs- Fitzgerald’s 4 total touchdowns against LSU has him on the rise on my list. For the season he hasn’t been bad either: 543 passing yards, seven passing touchdowns, one interception, 240 rushing yards and five rushing scores in three games. A win this weekend against Georgia puts Fitzgerald firmly in Heisman contention.
6) Sam Darnold, USC Trojans- Darnold had a rough start in the Trojans overtime win against Texas, but he was money when it mattered.
7) Trace McSorley, Penn State Nittany Lions- McSorley sometimes gets over shadowed by teammate Saquon Barkley, but McSorley is a big part of why Penn State is a National Title contender.
Download The Grueling Truth app in the iTunes store!