Heck, no, it’s not too early to be talking about a 2018 NFL mock draft. And let’s face it: From every other corner of sports fandom and reportage will we soon hear about those quarterbacks destined to go at nos. 1 and 2, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. Here’s the Grueling Truth’s mock draft forecasting the fates of these two, plus every other NFL team drafting in round 1.
1) Cleveland Browns – Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA Bruins- While there are some questions about Rosen off the field, a lot of NFL scouts think he is the most game-ready Quarterback in this draft. I know Hue Jackson and the Browns front office love Lamar Jackson, but I am betting they will not be in the same capacity with the team by draft day.
2) New York Giants – Sam Darnold, QB, USC Trojans
Darnold has not had a great sophomore season, but in the long run he may have more upside than Rosen.
3) San Francisco 49ers – Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU Mustangs
This is the best wide receiver in this draft and while he is not Julio Jones he may not be that far off.
4) Denver Broncos – Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Nelson is the best lineman in this draft and the Broncos need help on the offensive line.
5) Indianapolis Colts – Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State Nittany Lions
Best all-around running back in this draft.
6) Chicago Bears – Minkah Fitzpatrick, CB, Alabama Crimson Tide
Fitzpatrick fills a big need for the Bears and the Bears have a lot of needs.
7) Cleveland Browns – James Washington Jr., WR, Oklahoma State Cowboys
If you get a Quarterback you might as well get him another weapon and Washington is going to be a big-time player for a long time in the NFL.
8) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Bradley Chubb, DE, N.C. State Wolfpack
The Bucs need an edge pass rusher and Chubb is the best in this draft class.
9) Cincinnati Bengals – Connor Williams, OT, Texas Longhorns
God knows the Bengals need offensive lineman.
10) Arizona Cardinals – Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma Sooners
One of the biggest offensive lineman to ever be drafted and on top of all that his feet are pretty good.
11) New York Jets – Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville Cardinals
Jackson will have time to learn behind Josh McCown.
12) Washington Redskins – Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State Cowboys
I am assuming that Kirk Cousins leaves and if he does, Washington will need a quarterback..
13) Miami Dolphins – Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa Hawkeyes
Great in man to man coverage.
14) Los Angeles Chargers – Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Road grading offensive tackle for Melvin Gordon.
15) Dallas Cowboys – Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama Crimson Tide
Dak Prescott needs more weapons and this pick would give him just that.
16) Oakland Raiders – Derwin James, S, Florida State
James could be a very special player.
17) Detroit Lions – Vita Vea, DT, Washington Huskies
This is a big-time need for the Lions.
18) Buffalo Bills – Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma Sooners
It sure seems like Tyrod Taylor is not welcome in Buffalo, so I think this is the draft to get a Quarterback.
19) Green Bay Packers – Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia Bulldogs
The Packers need Linebackers, and this is a good one that can come in and make a positive impact right away.
20) Atlanta Falcons – Deontay Burnett, WR, USC Trojans
Burnett is a bad man after the catch and would take some pressure off Julio Jones.
21) Buffalo Bills – Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan Wolverines
The Bills need size up front.
22) Baltimore Ravens – Marcell Ateman, WR, Oklahoma State Cowboys
Joe Flacco needs weapons and Ateman would provide him with one.
23) Seattle Seahawks – Will Hernandez, G, UTEP Miners
Russell Wilson needs offensive lineman.
24) Carolina Panthers – Arden Key, DE, LSU Tigers
Key is a huge risk, but a huge risk with a big upside.
25) Jacksonville Jaguars – Chukwuma Okorafor, OT, Western Michigan
Could develop into the best Tackle in this draft.
26) Tennessee Titans – Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson Tigers
Wilkins has the versatility to play anywhere on the line.
27) Los Angeles Rams – Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, OLB, Oklahoma
Has juice off the edge and finishes well.
28) New Orleans Saints – Kameron Kelly, CB, San Diego State Aztecs
Long and athletic would be a great addition to the Saints’ defensive backfield.
29) Pittsburgh Steelers – Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes
Ward is much-needed in Pittsburgh and would be a huge upgrade for the Steelers.
30) Minnesota Vikings – Equanimeous St. Brown, WR, Notre Dame Fighting IrishThe Vikings could use some more playmakers on offense.
31) Philadelphia Eagles – Ken Webster, CB, OLE MISS Rebels
Webster may be the best corner in this draft and would be a steal here.
32) New England Patriots – T.J. Edwards, LB, Wisconsin Badgers
The Patriots need to add depth to the defensive side of the ball.
Follow The Grueling Truth on Twitter @GruelingTruth and Like us on Facebook.