We’ve reached the halfway point of the 2017 NFL season, and storylines that baffled earlier in the year are starting to make some sense now – except for the mystery of why about a half-dozen head coaches are still employed with their current clubs. We consider this and lots more in this week’s edition of Grueling Truths …
1) Everson Griffen: Defensive Player of the Year? – Griffen has been amazing this year, He already has ten sacks and that includes at least one in every game this year. Just think if he was playing in New York – instead of Minnesota…
2) Chuck Pagano needs to be put out of his misery – Pagano needs to be let go and I mean *now*! He actually got out-coached by Marvin Lewis, a sure sign that the exit sign has to be near.
3) DeShaun Watson is special – If you have seen him play at any point this season you already knew this, but his performance on Sunday had to prove he is legit beyond all doubt. Think the Cleveland Browns are kicking themselves right now?
4) New Orleans’ Marshon Lattimore deserves serious Defensive Rookie of the Year consideration – He entered week 8 as the NFL’s top-rated cornerback according to the analytics website Pro Football Focus, and ended it with a game-sealing interception, his second pick in three weeks.
5) Andy Dalton will be knocked out of a game soon – The Colts got pressure on the Bengals all game long and that never happens for a bad Colts defensive line. With the Jaguars and Broncos on the schedule over the next three weeks, trouble could be looming for Dalton?
6) The Buccaneers are underachieving – The Bucs need a coaching change if they want to save this season. Jameis Winston is still not taking good enough care of the ball and a very talented team is in serious trouble.
7) Bill Belichick is a true “football genius” – Remember when the Patriots had the worst defense in the NFL a month ago? Since then they have given up just 51 points in the last four games.
8) The Raiders suck – With a ton of talent why exactly do they suck? Three words: Jack Del Rio. As long as Del Rio is head coach, the Raiders will never be a true Super Bowl contender.
9) Hue Jackson is making Marvin Lewis look good – Hue Jackson is now 1-23 in Cleveland and it doesn’t look like anything will be getting better very soon in Cleveland.