What was that? Something about around a half-dozen head coaches that mysteriously have kept their jobs with NFL teams to this point in the 2017 season? Well, here’s an extension on that thought, namely a list of the five NFL head coaches on the hot seat (or should be)…
1) Hue Jackson, Cleveland Browns – Since taking over at the start of last year the Browns have won exactly one game. Drafting Deshone Kizer instead of DeShaun Watson will haunt this franchise for a very long time. When Jackson got the job, I said they need to leave him alone because it was going to take a few years to fix this mess but somehow, they are worse than when he arrived.
2) Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals – They remain an undisciplined team, stupid personal foul penalties directly led to points again this weekend. Throw in the fact that they flat out quit in Pittsburgh two weeks ago and it is hard to believe that he still has a job. Of course, the biggest problem in Cincinnati is owner Mike Brown, but something must be done about Marvin.
3) Chuck Pagano, Indianapolis Colts – Actually it’s hard to believe Pagano is still here! He seems clueless on the sideline and is bad at game management. I would be totally shocked if he is still coaching the Colts next year.
4) Dirk Koetter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers – The Bucs maybe the NFL’s most disappointing team so far this year. They seemed to make the right moves in the off-season but it for some reason has not worked out for the Bucs. Quarterback Jameis Winston needs a coach that can get the most out of him and that does not seem to be Koetter.
5) Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders – This one may surprise people, but I don’t think in the end that Del Rio is a good enough coach to lead Oakland on a Super Bowl run. I think his game management is poor and if he is the one selecting assistant coaches, well then that’s a problem also. This is a very talented team with seemingly all the pieces in place, so what’s the problem? In my opinion it is Del Rio.
Download The Grueling Truth app in the iTunes store!