Top 10 Secondaries in the NFL Going into the 2017 Season
1) Denver Broncos – Chris Harris, Aqib Talib, TJ Ward, Darian Stewart, Bradley Roby, Brendan Langley, Justin Simmons
They have been the best for the last two years and it looks like nothing has changed to me. The Broncos are as deep as any team in the NFL in the secondary and have the best corner tandem in the league.
2) Seattle Seahawks – Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Bradley McDougald, Jeremy Lane, Shaquill Griffin, Neiko Thorpe, DeShawn Shead, Tedric Thompson, Delano Hill
The Seahawks aren’t as deep as they once were in the secondary and that was proven when Earl Thomas went down with an injury last year. If the starters stay healthy all year, this is still the “Legion of Boom”.
3) New York Giants – Landon Collins, Janoris Jenkins, Eli Apple, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Darian Thompson, Nat Berhe, Antwon Blake
The Giants secondary was a pleasant surprise last year and should only get better this year. Janoris Jenkins was a huge bonus. In previous years he was not that good, but he grew by leaps and bounds and should continue to improve.
4) New England Patriots – Malcolm Butler, Stephon Gilmore, Eric Rowe, Devin McCourty, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, Justin Coleman, Nate Ebner, Cyrus Jones
The Patriots lost a good corner in Logan Ryan, but as always, even with that loss in the secondary, the Patriots got better in the off-season.
5) Kansas City Chiefs – Eric Berry, Marcus Peters, Ron Parker, Phillip Gaines, DJ White, Daniel Sorensen, Eric Murray, Steven Nelson, Kenneth Acker
With Marcus Peters, the Chiefs have one of the best corners in the game and one of the best safeties in Eric Berry.
6) Minnesota Vikings – Xavier Rhodes, Terence Newman, Harrison Smith, Andrew Sendejo, Mackensie Alexander, Trae Waynes, Jayron Kearse
Rhodes is a stud at the corner position. The only concerns with this secondary will be can Terrence Newman play another year at as high a level as he did last year.
7) Arizona Cardinals – Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu, Antoine Bethea, Brandon Williams, Budda Baker, Justin Bethel, Tyvon Branch, Johnathan Ford
The only concern here would be can Peterson rebound from a rough season last year? Mathieu is one of the most complete safeties in the game and this team is deep in the secondary.
8) Atlanta Falcons – Desmond Trufant, Keanu Neal, Robert Alford, Ricardo Allen, Brian Poole, Damontae Kazee, Kemal Ishmael, Jalen Collins
The Falcons defense is fast and the secondary is one of the fastest in the NFL. If they can get a better pass rush up front, they will be top 5.
9) Jacksonville Jaguars – Jalen Ramsey, AJ Bouye, Barry Church, Tashaun Gipson, Josh Johnson, Peyton Thompson, Jalen Myrick, James Sample
This may be a premature ranking with a young secondary, but the talent here has the makings of an absolutely great defensive backfield.
10) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Vernon Hargreaves, Brent Grimes, JJ Wilcox, Justin Evans, Ryan Smith, Josh Robinson, Chris Conte, Keith Tandy
The only concern with the Bucs secondary would be the depth at the position, but the starters are more than solid.